THE SCHOOL BOARD OF BROWARD COUNTY, FLORIDA
OFFICE OF THE SUPERINTENDENT
Board Room of the Kathleen C. Wright Administration Center
600 Southeast Third Avenue, Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Public Hearing - Instructional Materials
TUESDAY, MARCH 21, 2017 – 3:00 PM
(Or Immediately Following the Regular School Board Meeting)
CALL TO ORDER
PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE TO THE FLAG OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
PURPOSE OF MEETING:
1. Instructional Materials Hearing for Social Studies Adoption (K-12) (Supporting Docs)
Hearing to present adoption of the recommended instructional materials for Social Studies and receive public feedback.
- K-5 Social Studies, M/J World History (Reg. & Adv.), M/J Civics (Reg. & Adv.) M/J U.S. History and Career Planning (Reg. & Adv.), World History (Reg. & Honors.), U.S. History (Reg. & Honors) Economics with Financial Literacy (Reg. & Honors) and U.S. Government (Reg. & Honors).
Florida Statute 1006.40(5) requires multiple steps in the approval process to ensure input from all stakeholders. These include:
- Online access to student editions of the committee recommended instructional materials for 20 days.
- An open, noticed Public Hearing during which the public may comment on the recommended instructional materials. (March 21, 2017)
- An open, noticed School Board Meeting to approve an annual instructional materials plan to identify any instructional materials that will be purchased through the District's instructional materials review process. (April 4, 2017)
See Supporting Docs for continuation of Summary Explanation and Background.
The financial impact to the District will be approximately $16,202,293. The funds come from the State categorical instructional materials allocation and will be placed in the Innovative Learning budget.
PURSUANT TO FLORIDA STATUTE 286.0105: If a person decides to appeal any decision made by the School Board with respect to any matter considered at a meeting or hearing, he/she will need a record of the proceedings, and for such purpose, he/she may need to ensure that a verbatim record of the proceedings is made, which record includes the testimony and evidence upon which the appeal is to be based.
Individuals with disabilities requesting accommodations under the Americans with Disabilities Act Amendments Act of 2008, (ADAAA) may call Equal Educational Opportunities/ADA Compliance Department at 754-321-2150 or Teletype Machine (TTY) 754-321-2158.